Saturday, February 7, 2015

1984

 I realize I haven’t written in my blog since last year (btw – happy new year J ).
                In literature, I was reading George Orwell’s 1984, which I do not recommend. Seriously, it’s a terrible book. But, it got me thinking. The book is full of paradoxes that really mess with your head. For example, the book is set in the future, but 1984 is now our past. So you have to think about what the author thought of as futuristic instead of your own concept. Inside the book, the government, Big Brother, is communist, but it goes further than that in that the government controls what the people believe by what is described as “doublethink” which is basically the same thing as a purposeful paradox. For example, news is given that chocolate rations are being reduced to 20 pieces. Next week, they are thankful that the chocolate ration has been raised to 20 pieces.
The entire book, for all practical purposes, states that reality is what us humans perceive and nothing can contradict it because all evidence can be destroyed or falsified. Which is kind of true. How much of history have we lost? How can we know for certain that something actually happened?
                All of history, anything in the past, takes a “reality foundation”. People use different foundations be it a religion, evolution, Christianity, or other. Something cannot be built without a foundation. We have faith in whatever foundation we chose to hold our reality together. The book 1984 is hopeless because the society in it has been ripped of a foundation or picking whichever foundation suites them for a moment.
                A “reality foundation” is the same thing as what we hope in. What are we hoping in? What do we boast in?

Galatians 6:14
But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world
“My hope is build in nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus’ name. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.”
Matthew 6:20
Lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.


                Without God, all reality can be distorted.

I've been in prayer a lot recently for people that I know. It's like God knows that I can stand being hurt but I can't bare to see others hurt and not be able to do anything except rely on him.. It's like He's amniscient or something. The biggest trial that God could give me is other peoples' problems that I can't solve.
Something that I've recently heard from someone was, "I don't mean to put thoughts into your head. Although I probably already have." Darling, if anything were to turn me away from God, I think a million things would have done it already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment